BusinessDesk is launching a new section to cover the business of technology, from telcos to startups and more. We're looking for a journalist to join our growing team.
Since officially launching our news site in February, we’ve experienced strong growth. We now have thousands of individual subscribers, close to 150 corporate subscribers and are adding hundreds of new readers weekly at present.
BusinessDesk has doubled its newsroom in the past year, adding some of the country’s best and brightest journalists and commentators. We are a journalist-owned business and shares will be offered to staff annually.
Last month, we launched The Life, a features section for people with an appetite for living well. Now, we’re looking to become New Zealand’s best source for infotech news.
Our current tech commentator, Peter Griffin, will continue to write his weekly column, which will now be part of this section.
We have newsrooms in Wellington and Auckland. There is some preference for an Auckland appointment, but we will appoint the best applicant.
- A midgrade or senior journalist with a strong understanding of the technology industry.
- The type of reporter who does not rely on press releases for stories. You uncover your own news and write it without fear or favour.
- A self-starter and able to work independently, including regularly securing good exclusive stories.
- A team player. We all get along at BusinessDesk and we want to keep that culture as we grow.
- Adaptable and comfortable with some of the ambiguity that comes with both the news and a fast-growing, start-up environment
In this role you will:
- Launch and write for businessdesk.co.nz/technology.
- Be the public face of our technology coverage, including at events and on social media.
- Manage and edit freelances and stay within budget.
- Write news and features for our audience. We may not always cover the latest upgrade from Apple, but we want to be across cloud hosting, rural broadband, NZ fintech, healthtech, technology r&d, capital-raisings, and exports, and so on.
- Assist the broader team in improving our own technology and processes.
Interested? Apply for the role on Seek here.