Congestion charging expected for Auckland

Congestion charging expected for Auckland
The government is expected to make an announcement on congestion charging next week. (Image: Getty)
Oliver Lewis
The government is likely to make a decision on introducing congestion charging in Auckland next week, a new report suggests.Last year, a select committee inquiry on congestion charging recommended the government introduce new legislation allowing cities to use the demand management tool, and to move ahead with congestion charging in Auckland.The government consulted on the option as part of its emissions reduction plan, which is being unveiled next Monday ahead of the budget.A new report by the Helen Clark Foundation and professional services f...

More Policy

How to Be Wrong: summer reading for the PM
Economy

How to Be Wrong: summer reading for the PM

Advice on leading for innovation, threats to democracy, gangs, and more.

Pattrick Smellie 28 Nov 2025
Air NZ’s Ravishankar grows up in public
Opinion

Pattrick Smellie: Air NZ’s Ravishankar grows up in public

The national airline’s new CEO faces plenty of challenges, some self-inflicted.

Pattrick Smellie 28 Nov 2025
Govt proposes major council overhaul
Policy

Govt proposes major council overhaul

Regional councillors to be deposed, mayors empowered, and amalgamation put on the table.

Thomas Manch 25 Nov 2025
FIF tax creator says ‘sorry’, but wants deeper reform
Policy

FIF tax creator says ‘sorry’, but wants deeper reform

Economist Peter Wilson says the Government's FIF changes need to go further.

Dileepa Fonseka 25 Nov 2025