Govt reallocates $84m of NZ On Air cash to new public media entity

Govt reallocates $84m of NZ On Air cash to new public media entity
Broadcasting minister Willie Jackson outlined his expectations for NZ On Air funding. (Image: NZME)
Daniel Dunkley
The government has reallocated more than $80 million a year in NZ on Air funds to the new public broadcast entity, Aotearoa NZ Public Media – a move that will leave the commercial sector competing for a smaller pool of crown funding.In an announcement late on Friday afternoon, the independent crown entity said it had been “formally advised” to carve out $84m a year for the new parent of Television NZ and Radio NZ. The changes will take effect from 2023-2024 if the new entity goes ahead as expected.NZ On Air chair Ruth Harley s...

More Media

Behind the rise of shareholder activism
Markets

Behind the rise of shareholder activism

Activists can be seen as 'baddies', but a new report says there are benefits.

NZME delay shows the company is out of ideas: Grenon
Markets

NZME delay shows the company is out of ideas: Grenon

"That's really the best move they've got, isn't it?" Jim Grenon says.

NZME board drama: shareholder showdown delayed
Markets

NZME board drama: shareholder showdown delayed

NZME says crunch governance meeting will now be in June after it received legal advice.

NZME executive to join Contact
News in Brief

NZME executive to join Contact

Carolyn Luey's new role will be chief retail officer, looking after 600,000 customers.

Staff reporters 28 Mar 2025