So much has changed in the New Zealand media landscape of late and some of these shifts have been, at best, dismal, including a near clean sweep of local lifestyle publications and websites.
What remains, though, is a community of talented writers, designers and editors, who are determined that the show must go on. So, in the past few weeks, the scorched earth has given rise to a crop of new websites and print publications, the first of many to come, I hope – which leads me to The Life.
We’ve created a leisure and travel section of BusinessDesk which will arrive in your inbox each Friday evening, full of entertaining and informative weekend reading. It’s for people with an appetite for living well, who like to celebrate the good things in life – whether that’s investing in your health and wellness or a weekend at a luxury lodge.
A sterling line-up of writers and columnists have taken a seat at the table:
- Master of Wine Bob Campbell will be casting an exacting eye over our wine industry each week;
- Simon Farrell-Green, ex-Bauer food director and current editor of design and architecture magazine Here, will be doing the same for our restaurant scene;
- former Metro staff writer Jean Teng, who has penned a whip-smart feature on the future of the hospitality industry for today’s section, will be writing on all things food and pop-culture related;
- ex-Fashion Quarterly editor Sally-Ann Mullin will be showing you the very best things to wear;
- international watch editor Bani McSpedden will be profiling the most stylish luxury timepieces; and
- cheese expert Juliet Harbutt will be teaching us how to tell our reblochon from our raclette.
We’re also covering motoring (Rolls-Royce Phantom, anyone? You’ll have to wait until next week), interior design, tech, beauty, beer and everything else we think is worth bringing to your attention.
I hope you enjoy your new weekend read.