NZ’s climate commitments: is self-flagellation the price of global leadership?

NZ’s climate commitments:  is self-flagellation the price of global leadership?
Then California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger addresses the 2009 Copenhagen global climate change summit (Image: Getty)
Adrian Macey and Dave Frame
In Glasgow last year, New Zealand announced that it would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by the year 2030.This Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) was judged, by NZ officials, to be our fair share of the global effort needed under the 2016 Paris agreement.Only about 30% of this target would be met at home.The remaining 70% would need "offshore mitigation" – which can mean carbon markets, offsets or direct investment. But always, NZ paying others to reduce their emissions.That 70% is an uncapped liability since it de...

More Policy

Government to review ETS admin costs for forest owners
Primary Sector

Government to review ETS admin costs for forest owners

Forest owners say it shouldn't cost $30/ha to run the ETS.

Calls for modern slavery legislation grow
Policy

Calls for modern slavery legislation grow

The chance for New Zealand to be world-leading in modern slavery is long gone.

ProdCom head lashes ‘cruel, thoughtless’ closure process
Policy

ProdCom head lashes ‘cruel, thoughtless’ closure process

Staff were shown a 'lack of respect', says the outgoing commission chair.

Pattrick Smellie 28 Feb 2024
Business of Government: 90-day plans, MBIE's massive cuts and more...
Policy

Business of Government: 90-day plans, MBIE's massive cuts and more...

Our weekly roundup of public sector news and analysis.

Jem Traylen 28 Feb 2024